Sunday, September 14, 2014

Asking Jesus one question

I remembered today when during college I volunteered in a special needs religion class. I oftentimes sat with M. He had Lou Gehrig's disease (think Ice Bucket Challenge; in case you actually looked up what ALS is) and maybe some cognitive or learning disabilities as well. I would help him read the verses or discuss the questions posed by the teacher.

One evening in class the teacher asked, "If you were there with Jesus and could ask him one question, what would you ask?" She had us each write our secret question on a small paper. What a hard task--one question only! I ended up writing something thoughtful, and perhaps a bit philosophical.

We shared our question with our partner. M. opened his paper. I saw in shaky print, "Will you heal me?"

The most sincere, faith-filled, obvious, necessary question to ask. And it didn't cross my mind. I saw my own "special needs" as I sat across from my project friend. I was the Pharisee asking questions; he was the true seeker.


Sometimes still I wonder what I should pray about. Sometimes I wonder what I need. I hope I don't look too far outside myself, and that as I look deep I find the wounds and ask M.'s question, "Will you heal me?" That seems the only question that really matters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...