Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My Quilt of Reckoning

My great-great grandmother Mary Malinda Hall was a big time quilter. Like, she made a quilt for every child (she had 18), grandchild, child in her primary class at church, and many people in her little community. I thought maybe, maybe I have some kind of quilting blood in me I just needed to tap into.

But, see, I don't sew. For instance, I feel proud to know what a bobbin is. (Not that I can confidently wind it.)

By some miraculous event I got invited to a quilting group and by chance a bit of a master quilter took me under her wing. So I began learning to sew by starting to make a quilt. 

I never knew cutting and sewing straight lines could be so(oooooo) frustrating and tedious. And time consuming. Each block represents hours. No joke.

Now that I have these blocks done though, and can see it all together, I feel pretty proud. And I can see how people find it fulfilling. And a little addicting.

Next tasks: 
- get the squares back out of my closet,
- piece this together with borders between, 
- back it, 
- bind it, 
- give it to my little niece for a very belated birthday gift,
- never look at it again,
- pick and start one more ULTRA SIMPLE pattern, so as not to have this quilt of reckoning totally put me off from sewing or quilting for all time.  





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...