Monday, January 10, 2011

"Favorite Part of the Day"

We've had this tradition in my family since I was little. While we ate dinner together my dad would ask each of us, "What was your favorite part of the day?" Now at dinnertime Ben and I continue the tradition, asking the same question.

Today I knew what my favorite part of the day was in the moment. It was late afternoon, I was sitting on the piano bench. Seth sat on my lap playing with his new travel-size magnadoodle. He played with it for 50 minutes, happy to be held--something that doesn't happen everyday with a very active 13-month-old.



While we sat we listened to the Hollands episode on "Conversations". Partway through the interview they were asked about motherhood.

"I think the heart of the woman's soul is that need to nurture and care for her children. She might not realize it at the time those babies are little and its so demanding...but when you get to be my age you realize that's really where you needed to spend your time."
--Patricia Holland

With those words spoken and with Seth close and contend, I drank in that moment. I recognized the love we were receiving from each other. It became a sacred moment to me. I was with my little boy and we were happy.

1 comment:

  1. So precious! I have a hard time remembering this sometimes when I feel like I have no time to myself, but this post was a good reminder to enjoy what I have--two beautiful little girls who need me, and frankly, I need them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...