Saturday, July 9, 2011

Memorizing

Friend MaryAnne's family has a tradition for their Dad's birthday. He's an English professor, so years ago he asked that each kid memorize a poem for him each year. Each got to choose what to memorize and then they would recite their choice to him. 

Now all his kids are grown and have several children of their own. The tradition has continued. Even MaryAnne's little 2-year-old daughter has short verses memorized.

Upon hearing this tradition, Ben and I felt inspired to memorize some poetry ourselves. We cracked open an old poetry book to try to find our selections. I originally chose the very inspiring "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. (I had learned some of it years ago, so thought it'd be a fun and easy choice.) I later decided Ben's choice of "Death Be Not Proud" might be a more moving selection.
   
   Death, be not proud
   by John Donne
   Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
   Mighty and dreadful, for thou are not so;
   For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
   Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
   From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
   Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,
   And soonest our best men with thee do go,
   Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
   Thou'art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
   And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
   And poppy'or charms can make us sleep as well
   And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
   One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
   And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.
And would you know it, I've memorized it! Even though I still don't feel confident in getting my own age right, my mind might just have more capacity than I give it credit for. I also really enjoy being able to engage my own mind at any old moment I want. No ipod, library book or Kindle necessary.  

And lucky for me, my Dad's birthday's not until January. I'll have enough time to cement it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...